Coconut Oil Earwax: Your Harmless Way to Dealing with Ear Wax
Coconut oil for earwax? Virgin coconut oil (VCO) will naturally and carefully loosen, and allow the wax to move out on its own. Now, hear this first.
According to the guidelines issued by the American Academy of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery Foundation (AAO-HNSF), you should simply leave your ears alone, unless you experience symptoms associated with ear wax or cerumen buildup and blockage of your ear canal such as:
- Partial and/or progressive hearing loss
- A feeling of fullness in your ear, or a sensation that your ear is plugged
- Odor, itching or discharge
- Ringing or noises in your ear
I have always left my ears alone all my adult life and never had any problems. The only thing I can remember is when a big ball of dry earwax came out of my right ear during a party. Thank goodness nobody saw!
But it’s true that ear wax can sometimes impair hearing and create a breeding ground for bacteria and fungi. You can avoid excessive cerumen accumulation by doing the following as often as necessary:
- Lie down on your side or back.
- Fill an eyedropper with warm virgin coconut oil and put several drops into your ear canal.
- Move your jaw around to work the VCO down into the canal.
This will detach the wax and cause it to exit by itself. Coconut oil does this safely and naturally because it contains medium chain fatty acids (MCFA), just like sebum.
MCFA-rich coconut oil kills a wide variety of harmful microorganisms, including the ones attracted by an exaggerated buildup of earwax.
Coconut Oil › Natural Cures › Coconut Oil Earwax